Pre-Ramble

Okay - so please read this blog with a gentle gaze as we were limited with web access, speed and energy after long beautiful days to re-hash. Even if I'm the only reader in the long run - it's great to blog-a-log deets I want to reflect on. I don't love blogging, but I love having blogged!

Likely, I'll take time to add or edit words and images when time allows (ha!) - but for now, in the spirit of imperfection - here's a scan of a trip to Iceland with John - August 2011. I use the word scan.. because you know there is always so much more to travel then meets the eye - so much more to see!


btw, to view from the beginning of trip to the end - scroll all the way down (then to "older posts") then to the image of the Iceland map & NYC taxi cab...and READ UP!
- or you can read it backward, I guess!


Waiting for Viday



Okay - so even though it's this tiny island - and most everyone in Iceland has been there - a few people shrug and say - "ah, there is so much more to see, you can skip Viday"-

Not.

I'm going anywhere that is a 5 minute ferry ride from Reykjavik and where you can stand by a yellow light house and look at it from afar - and it's monastery, and most importantly the Imagine Peach Tower that is considered a work of art that was conceived by Yoko Ono as a beacon of world peace.

It is (as we speak) - lit up with a force of powerful light shooting up into the sky to honor the victims of the murders in Norway. We watched in deep silence with a few locals looking out over to the island as the Peace Tower was lit.

We'll see it more up close soon - especially the words of John Lennon inscribed in 24 world languages.

Oh, and how about that fact that this little island was once an active volcano (well, 2 millions years ago) - and that the rock is the oldest in Reyjkavik.

Oh, and add an installation by the sculpture artist Richard Serra.

All good reasons to take a little ferry ride to the Island of Viday - even though the spectacularly dramatic landscapes of Iceland still await.

Oh, oh - and how about the fact that bikes are there for the taking so circle the island.

I like little islands. I liked walking with John across from this little island and looking at this one single beam of light... and thinking about what it means... but when I started singing "All we are saying... is give peace a chance" - the spell was broken - and I even knew I was taking it all just a bit too far.

Still? We are getting on the ferry, hell or volcano - and going to Viday.